Sunday 8 April 2012

HEAVEN + HELL HALF MARATHON

Last race before the Highland Fling at the end of the month so I decided on a tough road race as flat racing would be of no benefit. So off to Scone aerodrome to register for the Heaven + Hell Half Marathon organised by Perth road Runners. I ran this a few years back and it totally gubbed me for the London Marathon two weeks later so I knew what to expect and boy it did not let me down. I think this race was voted the toughest half marathon in the UK by Runners World readers. It is torture and that would be on a calm day, but it is always windy here as well.


Met Chris Upson from Westerlands at the start and had a wee blether and off we went bang on time. First 2-3 miles are quite gentle but into the wind and then a left turn and the climbing begins which is where the pack broke up and the runners spread out. Mostly climbing till 7 miles with the wind at our back thankfully and then a sharp descent a short flat section then the HELL bit. 7.5 miles to 10 miles is a climb up to about 800ft and it is straight in to a very strong wind. I managed to run this whole section but it was not pretty. Water station at the top and I gulped a couple of mouthfulls down then set off downhill.


On the descent a managed to catch up with Chris about 12 miles and pass him but he was not for letting go of his position and passed me about 100mtrs from the finish.
I finished in 8th place in 1hr 27min 14secs. A great workout and faster than my last time so delighted with the excercise. Back to the aerodrome for an excellent spread of food laid on by the organisers.

Garmin details : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165940426

Results : http://www.perthroadrunners.co.uk/heaven-hell-results/

2 comments:

  1. sounds awesome, might check that one out next year. Good luck for the Fling! My husband is doing full thing and I am doing leg2 of relay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen, really is a well organised race. Hopefully meet you at the Fling.

    ReplyDelete